Exotic Weapons are unusual weapons that are not commonly known. Often they are only used by a specific species, in specific region, by specific classes, or is unique in design. Thus they are not usually available to player characters.
Due to their unusual or obscure design, proficiency with these weapons is not granted by being proficient with simple or martial weapons. Creatures that are not proficient in them use them may not add their proficiency bonus.
The only ways to be proficient with an exotic weapon are:
- The exotic weapon is specified in your race description.
- The exotic weapon is specified in your class description.
- The exotic weapon is specified in your background.
- Use of the Weapon Master feat.
- Use of Downtime to Train in the weapon. To do so you must find a teacher that is proficient in the exotic weapon. (see the: Player's Handbook (5e) p.187 "Training").
List of Exotic Weapons7 weapons.
|Atlatl||Simple||Ranged||Varied||Varied lbs.||Varied||Ammunition, Range} (2x/3x), Special, Exotic||User||Rlyehable|
|Light Repeating Crossbow||Simple||Ranged||1d8 piercing||5 lbs.||Ammunition, Light, Range} (40/160), Special, Two-Handed, Exotic||Canon, Pointer||Out of the Abyss|
|Kasa||Martial||Melee||1d6 slashing||1/2 lbs.||1 gp||Finesse, Light, Exotic||User||Rlyehable|
|Mancatcher||Martial||Melee||1d6 piercing||6 lbs.||30 gp||Reach, Special, Two-Handed, Exotic||Canon, Pointer||Monster Manual (5e)|
|Double-Bladed Scimitar||Martial||Melee||2d4 slashing||6 lbs.||100gp||Special, Two-Handed, Exotic||Canon, Pointer||Eberron Rising from the Last War|
|Hooked Shortspear||Simple||Melee||1d4 piercing||2 lbs.||Light, Special, Exotic||Canon, Pointer||Out of the Abyss|
|Longspear||Martial||Melee||1d10 piercing||4 lbs.||1 gp||Finesse, Reach, Two-Handed, Exotic||User||Rlyehable|