|“||Kuo-toa are degenerate fishlike humanoids [that] dwell in madness and everlasting night... Mind flayers captured kuo-toa by the thousands and forced them into bondage... By the time the mind flayers abandoned them, the prolonged psychic subjugation endured by the kuo-toa had driven them mad.||„|
|—Christopher Perkins, et. al.. Monster Manual (5e) (2014-09-30). Wizards of the Coast. p. 198.|
Kuo-toa are humanoids with fish-like features. They are covered with light silvery-bluish-purple scales. They have large eyes on each side of their head. Their mouth is filled with sharp teeth. They have one or more dorsal fin(s) on the back of their head and running down their neck. Their fingers and toes are webbed. Height and weight fall between an elf and a human.
|Height & Weight|
|Species||Base Height||Height Mod||Base Weight||Weight Mod||Average|
|Kuo-toa||4' 7"||+3d6||110 lbs.||x (2d4) lbs.||5' 6" 165lbs|
|Crazy, Weak and Exploitable
|Most civilizations of the Underdark view the kuo-toa as an exploitable resource. They are considered weak of body and mind. They are viewed as "easy pickings" for Drow, Duergar, Svirfneblin, and other denziens that desire slaves.
Most civilizations of the surface world view them as evil and crazy. They shun them if they have contact with them at all.
Bullywugs view them as rivals when their territories cross.
Sahuagin treat them as a degenerate prey species. The kuo-toa remind the sahuagin of what they may devolve into if they allow weakness to enter their ranks.
Underdark Lakes and Shores Dwellers
Kuo-toa typically inhabit natural cave formations in or near the underground lakes of the underdark. Occasionally they will excavate to enlarge a cave, but fear to displease Blibdoolpoolp, the Sea Mother, who obviously guided them to and gifted them the cave.
Some kuo-toa reside in underwater forests or lands near underground rivers. And yet others have made their way out from the underdark into the deep oceans.
There are many reasons to have become an adventurer:
You may have been separated from your squad during a raid and failed to find your way home.
You may have been sent by your archpriest to scout the surface world. And you have not scouted all of it and hate to give an incomplete report.
You may have been given a vision and sent on a quest by Blibdoolpoolp or other deity.
Or you may have just hated your life and left your home to seek your fate.
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase. Strength +1, Constitution +1 , Intelligence +1
- Age. Kuo-toa live to about 60 years of age.
- Alignment. Tend toward evil.
- Size. About 5 feet tall and about 160 lbs. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base speed is 30 feet. swim 30 ft.
- Darkvision. Generations in the underdark has given the Kuo-toa superior darkvision. You can see in dim light within 120 ft. feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Amphibious Nature. You can breathe air and water. Swim speed equals walk speed.
- Otherworldly Perception. You can sense the presence of any creature within 30 feet of it that is invisible or on the Ethereal Plane. You can pinpoint such a creature that is moving with a successful Perception check.
- Slippery. While not wearing armor, you have advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape a grapple.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, you have disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Martial Training. You are proficient with spears, Mancatchers, nets, and shields.
- Madness. You have indefinite madness. You can work with your DM to define this madness or roll randomly for it. If this madness is cured (such as by a greater restoration spell), you will likely develop a new indifinite madness within a year.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write You know Common and Undercommon.