|“||Duskken are a slippery. They are there and then they aren't.||„|
|—Journal of Vanti Vol. 133|
Duskken appear as dark humanoids. Their skin is a mottled dark blue, gray, and black. They are bald and androgynous, male and female being indistinguishable to non-duskken. They have long fingers that end in pointed nails and sharp teeth fill their mouths.
|Height & Weight|
|Species||Base Height||Height Mod||Base Weight||Weight Mod||Average|
|Duskken||5' 0"||+1d8||90 lbs.||x (2d6) lbs.||5' 5" 125 lbs.|
Most duskken live as communities in various regions of the Shadowfell. Those outside that realm tend to seek out shadowed areas such as deep valleys, dark forests, etc. However, some take to life in larger cities, where they can quickly get lost in a crowd or narrow alleys and there is always the shadow of a building in which to hide.
Sullen and Withdrawn
When dealing with other races, duskken tend to avoid the spotlight. They prefer to observe and interact only when required. They seem leery of how other species will react to them.
When dealing with their own species, they are more assertive.
They have a somewhat dreary outlook on life, probably due to their bleak surroundings in the Shadowfell.
Duskken religion primarily focuses on their belief of who or what changed the six original shadows to living creatures. These six were the progenitors of the species.
- Ravenists: These believe that the Raven Queen raised six shadows from undeath to life. Why she would do this is a religious mystery. But each Duskken should be ready to answer her call when it comes.
- Kathrocites: These believe that after millennia after her death, Kathros (who was a powerful sorceress in life) was able to acquire enough power to escape her undead shadow existence to become the first Duskken. She used all her remaining power to convert six other shadows to Duskken. Kathros now dwells in seclusion gathering power to shepherd her race.
- Solarists: These believe that during one of the great cosmic upheavals, an intense light beamed through the Shadowfell and struck six of shadows transforming them into Duskken. Some Solarists credit a deity with this act. Others, cosmic chance. In either case, it is the light, itself, that they revere (see Light Domain).
Duskken may become adventurers to see the world and its wonders (especially outside of the Shadowfell). They may wish to reduce the fear of their race by acts of kindness, justice, and valor. They may be jealous of the outside world and want to plunder its riches. They may join a group to act as guide and companion in the Shadowfell.
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase. Dexterity +1, Constitution +1
- Age. Duskken reach maturity at age 10. Their average lifespan is 60 years.
- Alignment. Duskken tend toward Chaotic alignments.
- Size. Duskken are roughly elven in size and weight. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base speed is 30 feet feet.
- Darkvision. Duskken are adapted to the Shadowfell You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of blue.
- Shadewalk. While in dim light or darkness they may use a bonus action to disengage and assume a black, amorphous shape that can move through spaces as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. Any equipment they were wearing or carrying also becomes amorphous. Once they end their movement, they are no longer amorphous and may not use this ability again until they finish a long rest.
- Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, they may use a bonus action to use the hide action.
- Undead Heritage. Duskken have resistance to necrotic and poison damage and are vulnerable to radiant damage. They can go twice as long as humans without food, water, and sleep before facing exhaustion, and have advantage when saving to avoid exhaustion.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Fellspeak and one other language. Fellspeak is a pidgin language used by creatures from the Shadowfell. It contains a conglomeration of many languages including Abyssal, Deep Speech, Infernal, and Undercommon (but knowing fellspeak does not give understanding or the ability to speak these languages).
Duskken are classified into three different types. None of these types are genetically dominant, and therefore different types may occur within a family group. A child may be a different type than parent and siblings are often of different types.
3 official and unofficial races.
|Epperi||Intelligence +1||Innate Spellcaster, Knowledgeable||User Creation||Rlyehable|
|Mubrai||Charisma +1||Persuasive, Charismatic||User Creation||Rlyehable|
|Sandbru||Wisdom +1||Skillful, Strong Willed||User Creation||Rlyehable|